Sunday, May 1, 2011

February 6, 2011 (To Tobacco Caye: Part Two)

During my first day at Tobacco Caye I snorkeled right off the dock and saw a great variety of fish, coral and other sea creatures including some sting rays like the one shown below.

Blue Spotted Sting Ray
After I had my fill of underwater adventure for the afternoon, I checked out my room and got ready for dinner. I was anxious to meet the other guests and find out the quality of the meals I would be experiencing over the next couple days. At dinner, which was served by Carmen at about 5:30 PM,  met my next door neighbor -- a young man from Canada traveling alone, and two young British sisters (Emma and Jessica) and their friend from Italy (Lorianna) who were together. We all chatted at the dinner table (the dinner was OK-- especially considering the price) and got to know each other a little bit. The only thing about Tobacco Caye is that it is so tiny there isn't really much to do at night (if you are single!). There is an outdoor bar at one of the nearby places but on this particular evening it was dead. During my visit there were only five other options for lodging on the island besides Lanas: 

* T.C. Lodge
* Gaviotas
* Reef's End
* Fairweather Place
* T.C. Paradise

For my evening entertainment -- which was pretty weak -- I did some "blogging" and reading (the sensational Freedom which is largely based in St. Paul, Minnesota and features my protagonist namesake "Walter Berglund"). It is a GREAT book in case you are looking for a good read. I also realized that I missed the Superbowl today. When you are chilling on a beautiful island in Belize you couldn't care less!

Yet Another Sting Ray Right Outside My Door!


No comments:

Post a Comment