Sunday, March 27, 2011

January 31, 2011 (San Ignacio Day 6)

Today,  Monday, January 31, I had absolutely no plans when I awoke at about 7:00 AM but I expected my Canadian friend Kirby to arrive sometime during the day. We planned to leave San Ignacio this week and check out a couple other towns -- and perhaps even a couple additional cayes -- before Kirby had to start his journey back to Cancun. In the morning-- after another breakfast across the street at Serendib-- I started a hunt for a sturdy box and some bubble wrap to use for shipping my six slate Maya calendar pieces back to the USA. It took forever to find an empty box, but the bubble wrap was pretty easy to find at one of the local stores. I carefully wrapped each piece and brought the box to a nearby travel agency that was also the local agent for Federal Express. I was shocked to see that shipping my treasures back home was going to cost me about as much as I paid for them-- about US$250.00 (and the box wasn't THAT heavy or large, either). If I wasn't moving around so much, a smarter option would have been to bring a second suitcase-- even though the airline charges for a second bag would have probably ended up costing almost the same amount.

Kirby returned from Flores at abouit 3:30 PM, so we grabbed a beer at a nearby spot and downloaded each other about our respective adventures since we had parted ways. Kirby said that Flores was beautiful, but that there was not much "adventuring" to do there. It would be a shopper's paradise-- as the Guatemalans have a number of amazing markets in Flores and the prices for local merchandise are out of this world. But who needs more "stuff" anyway-- especially when you have to lug it around? AND -- the Danielle (the cute young basketball player from Canada) saga continued! During his visit to Flores Kirby once again ran into Danielle!

Another Danielle Sighting: This Time in Guatemala!
I guess she will EVENTUALLY make it to Nicaragua! Kirby and I met Manny at his "office" along Burns Avenue early in the evening and he told us he was taking several people on a cave tubing and zip lining adventure at the famous Caves Branch area about 45 minutes from town (in the direction of Belmopan). Manny told us he would get us a "special price"- so we told him it sounded great and we would see him back at his office at 8:00 AM tomorrow morning. Kirby and I had dinner with our British friend Sue at the South Indian restaurant again and we made it an early night so we would be ready and raring to go tomorrow morning for the big adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment