Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Preface; Part 1 (Getting off the "Treadmill")

Those of you who have frequented fitness clubs over the years will understand my use of the treadmill as an analogy for my life and career. For the past 34 years I have - literally- been running on a treadmill. A treadmill that almost never stops. And - just like running on a treadmill- when you finally climb off you are in exactly the same place you were when you first jumped on. Sounds pretty horrible! Of course, hind sight is always 20/20. But when I think back to may carefree days in college, law school and what not, it is a little hard to believe that today-- having just turned the almost magical age of 61-- I am virtually penniless, have a net worth of "zero" -- and I have really gone nowhere in all these years! At least in accordance with America's general scorecard for male success-- how fat is YOUR wallet?

This is not to say that I haven't had some happiness and other successes in my life -- outside the realms of career and finance. I have - fortunately-- been able to retain excellent physical and mental health. And-- most importantly- I have assisted in bringing into existence possibly the two finest children on the planet. I could not be happier or more satisfied with ALL aspects of being a father that I have been graced with for the past 26 years. It was almost exactly 26 years ago that my son Jerome was born. In my wildest imagination I could not conjure up a more amazing son than Jerome. And that's not to say that our 26 years together have been "perfect". But the fact that we experienced some serious bumps in the road along the way has made our relationship all the more magical. I can pretty much say the same about my lovely and talented daughter Courtney -- who is 18 months younger than her brother but every bit as amazing.

But I need to get back to the treadmill. Just a few days ago I celebrated a very special occasion. I finally climbed off the treadmill-- after over 30 years of running almost non-stop. Most Americans-- hereafter to be referred to as "gringos" -- have been programmed to think we need at least a million dollars to "retire" comfortably. This past year I came to the conclusion that life is too short to keep chasing that dream of accumulating millions (even though one of my favorite songs now playing on my iPAD is the fabulous "Billionaire" by Travie McCoy and Bruno Mars). I finally realized that I could easily be fooled into working forever. And then-- when I finally climbed off that rusty old "mill" -- I would just be that much closer to being a real "senior citizen". I guess we all have our own definition of being a "senior". When you are in your prime, you think of seniors as gray beards who life life in a different manner than young people. At a certain point-- for each of us-- things like working out, partying, and the pursuit of romance and sensual pleasure take a back seat to just surviving and getting out of bed morning. As I have finally arrived at the brink of that turning point myself, I have noticed the huge range of each individuals' willingness to succumb to the old age "disease". More than anything, I think surrender to "the dark side" primarily a matter of choice. Some people say that "age is just a number". It could also be said that age is most importantly an attitude. My attitude is that I am a fighter. I am not willing to let go of all the great things young people can do.. until nature takes over and tells me I have to stop. Hugh Hefner may be a male chauvenist pig. But he is still my hero!

As I said, just last week I jumped off the treadmill and vowed to never again put in a 50+ hour work week (unless some disaster occurs and I am absolutely forced to do it). Since about 1991-- with the exception of two short sabaticals-- I have worked for the same (small) Minnesota-based company. Unfortunately--by hitching my wagon to a very small (tiny in fact) entrepreneural company owned by a good friend-- I was taking a number of risks. One of the risks of working for a small company- especially in this day and age-- is that you will probably end up with "zero" as a retirement package. As I now watch friends and family members who were school teachers and cops retire with comfortable retirement deals, I think back to the sacrifices I made to give my blood, sweat and tears to obtaining a law degree about 33 years ago. Back "in the day" many of us thought we were "too good" to take low paying jobs like teaching and public service. How the tables have turned! One of my best buddies for the past 50+ years (who became my pal at the age of either three or four depending on whose story you believe) is on the brink of retiring from a 30+ year job with the Metropolitan Waste Treatment Facility in St. Paul with a $3000+ per month pension waiting for him. Adding this nice monthly check to the Social Security payment he can start collecting in about 18 months will enable him to finish his life in the style of a prince -- or perhaps a king -- if he follows me on MY adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Fav quote: "Hugh Hefner may be a male chauvenist pig. But he is still my hero! " you crack me up dad!!!

    ReplyDelete